Scary but Desirable
I think getting really close to God is so desirable, to walk in close relationship to God is the main focus for being on this earth. At the same time, it is scary, very scary. What if I fail? What if it is too hard for me? What if I am disappointed with it. What if God is disappointed with me? Only a few of the thoughts that enter my mind. I don’t have all the answers to drawing near to God. Sometimes I feel like I have ‘no’ answers at all.
I’m pretty sure that humility to the point of desperation is important. I have to ask myself, “How desperately do you want God and what He has to offer.” Enough to work, discipline and deny myself?
It seems to me that people who claim to have it, don’t have it. That’s why humility is necessary. So, at the risk of acting like I have something that I don’t have, but only want and dream about, I will forward to you today 10 of my favorite quotes about getting in God’s inner circle of fellowship, wisdom, promises and contentment. I will share with 5 favorite passages about drawing near to Him. I hope these help you fulfill your desire to be ‘up close and personal’ with the God of Creation.
1. “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us”- Augustine
2. “God never said that the journey would be easy, but He did say that the arrival would be worthwhile” – Max Lucado
3. “God will meet you where you are in order to take you where He wants you to go.” –Tony Evans
4. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." –Jim Elliot
5. “Remember who you are. Don’t compromise for anyone, for any reason. You are a child of the Almighty God. Live that truth.” –Lysa Terkeurst
6. “If you can’t fly, then run, If you can’t run, then walk, If you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.” –Martin Luther King Jr.
7. “Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.” –Francis Chan
8. “He who lays up treasures on earth spends his life backing away from his treasures. To him, death is loss. He who lays up treasures in heaven looks forward to eternity; he’s moving daily toward his treasures. To him, death is gain.” –Randy Alcorn
9. “God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfill His promises, leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
10. "Continuous effort -- not strength nor intelligence -- is the key to unlocking our potential." –Winston Churchill
Think deep and wide on these passages…Zephaniah 3:17, Isaiah 40:28-31, John 5:13, romans 8:38, II Corinthians 4:16-18